Marriage or Civil Union Certificate
Marriage License or Civil Union Application
Domestic Partnership Certificate
Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
Office of Vital Statistics
319 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608
Office of Vital Statistics
Who is authorized to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate?
You can request a copy of a birth certificate in person or by mail. If you request a copy of the birth certificate in person, you will receive a certified copy at that time. All certified copies contain the official stamp of the city of Trenton. The person requesting a birth certificate will need valid photo identification.
The following persons are authorized to obtain a certified copy of a record. Proof of relationship to the person named on the record is required.
- The person named on the birth certificate, if of legal age (Include any legal name changes made to your record)
- The mother of the person listed on the record
- The father (if listed on the record)
- A child of the person named on the record. (You will need to show your own birth certificate.)
- A sibling of the person named on the record. (You will have to show a certified copy of your birth certificate.)
- The current spouse (You must present a certified copy of your marriage.)
- A legal representative (You will be required to show a court order.)
- A guardian with legal custody of a minor child (You will have to show the court order.)
- A federal, state, or local government agency for official use only. Identification is required.
- The grandparent will need a notarized letter from the child’s parents to obtain the birth certificate of the grandchild. The grandparent must also show his/her identification.
Can I authorize another person to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate?
You can authorize another person to obtain a copy of the birth certificate on your behalf. The applicant must provide a notarized letter that includes the name of the individual named on the record, the individual’s date of birth, the mother’s full maiden name, and the name of the father if listed on the record. Include the name of the person authorized to obtain a copy of the record. The person authorized to receive the birth certificate will be required to submit a valid form of identification.
Where can I get a certified copy of a birth certificate?
Apply in person or send your written request to: City Hall, Vital Statistics, 319 East State Street, Trenton, New Jersey 08608. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The office closes for lunch from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
What will I need to do to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate by mail?
If you send your application by mail, please provide the following information or print a copy of the application to request a certificate and complete the Birth section.
- Full name of the person as it appears in the record. (Include any legal name change you made to the record.)
- The mother’s full maiden name
- The full name of the father (if listed on the record)
- The exact date of birth
- The exact place of birth
- Attach copies of your proof of relationship to the individual identified on the record, unless you are requesting your own record
- Indicate the number of copies needed, and the reason for which you are applying for the birth certificate (to obtain a passport, driver’s license, identification, registration for school, marriage, etc.)
- Include your telephone number
How much does a certified copy of a birth certificate cost?
The cost for a certified copy is $20 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy purchased at the same time.
No personal checks are accepted. Cash or money orders addressed to “City of Trenton” are acceptable.
How can I reach a representative from the office?
Please contact us at 609-989-3236 if you need to speak to a representative.
Certificate Request Form