Marriage or Civil Union Certificate
Marriage License or Civil Union Application
Domestic Partnership Certificate
Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
Office of Vital Statistics
319 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608
Office of Vital Statistics
AFFIDAVIT OF DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP
Who can apply for an affidavit of domestic partnership?
Couples wishing to register for a domestic partnership affidavit must be of the same-sex or opposite-sex age 62 or older and meet the following requirements of the Domestic Partnership Act. The affidavit must be completed and signed by both applicants at the office of the municipality in which you apply. The affidavit will be notarized at that time.
If the address is outside New Jersey, one of the applicants must provide proof of belonging to the State Administrative Retirement System of New Jersey presenting one of the following documents issued by the Division of Pensions and Benefits.
What are the documents required to apply for a domestic partnership?
- Personal Benefit Statement - recent or previous year
- 1099 R – recent or previous year
- Certificate of pension membership
All applicants must present valid identification that establishes their name, age, date of birth and address. Examples of documents that you may show:
Additional data to seek an affidavit of domestic partnership
- Certified copy of birth certificates
- Driver’s license
- State, county or military identification
- Vehicle registration
- Mortgage or Rental agreement
- Tax return – recent or previous year
- Utility bill
- Bank statement
How much does a domestic partnership cost?
- The couple must share a common residence in New Jersey or in another jurisdiction provided that an applicant belongs to the state administrative system of retirement of New Jersey
- Both are responsible for the common well-being by demonstrating financial agreement as evidence
- Both agree to be responsible for common basic expenses during the domestic partnership
- Not in a current marriage or civil union recognized in New Jersey or a member of a domestic partnership with another individual
- Cannot be related by blood or marriage relatives up to and including the
- fourth degree of consanguinity
- Choose to share their lives with a commitment to mutual car
- Have not terminated another domestic partnership within the last 180 days
The domestic partnership requires a non-refundable payment of $28 when applying for the license.
No personal checks are accepted. Cash or money orders addressed to “City of Trenton” are acceptable.
Will I need to set up an appointment to apply for the domestic partnership affidavit?
Applications for a domestic partnership affidavit are accepted Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
How can I reach a representative from the office?
Please contact us at 609-989-3236 if you need to speak to a representative.