Marriage or Civil Union Certificate
Marriage License or Civil Union Application
Domestic Partnership Certificate
Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
Office of Vital Statistics
319 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608
Office of Vital Statistics
MARRIAGE AND CIVIL UNION CERTIFICATE
Who is authorized to receive a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate?
If your marriage or civil union occurred in Trenton, you can request a copy of the record in person or by mail. If you request a copy of the marriage or civil union certificate in person, you will receive a certified copy at that time. All certified copies contain the official stamp of the city of Trenton. The person requesting a marriage or civil union certificate will need valid photo identification.
The following persons are authorized to obtain a certified copy of a record. Proof of relationship to the person named on the record is required.
Can I authorize another person to obtain a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate?
- The registered couple named on the marriage or civil union certificate
- The parents of the individuals listed on the record
- A child of the person named on the record if of legal age. (You will need to show your own birth certificate.)
- A sibling of the person named on the record. (You will have to show a certified copy of your birth certificate.)
- A legal representative (You will be required to show a court order.)
- A guardian with legal custody of a minor child (You will have to show the court order.)
- A federal, state, or local government agency for official use only. Identification is required.
You can authorize another person to obtain a copy of the marriage or civil union certificate on your behalf. The applicant must provide a notarized letter that includes the names of the individuals named on the record, and the couple’s date and place of the marriage or civil union. Include the name of the person authorized to obtain a copy of the record. The person authorized to receive the marriage or civil union certificate will be required to submit a valid form of identification.
Where can I get a certified copy of a marriage or civil union record?
Apply in person or send your written request to: City Hall, Vital Statistics, 319 East State Street, Trenton, New Jersey 08608. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The office closes for lunch from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
What will I need to do to obtain a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate by mail?
If you send your application by mail, please provide the following information or print a copy of the application to request a certificate and complete the Marriage or Civil Union section.
- The full name of the couple as it appears in the record.
- The exact date of the marriage or civil union
- The place of marriage or civil union
- Attach copies of your proof of relationship to the individual identified on the record, unless you are requesting your own record
- Indicate the number of copies needed, and the reason for which you are applying for the marriage or civil union certificate (to obtain a passport, driver’s license, identification, registration for school, marriage, etc.)
- Include your telephone number
How much does a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate cost?
The cost for a certified copy is $20 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy purchased at the same time.
No personal checks are accepted. Cash or money orders addressed to “City of Trenton” are acceptable.
How can I reach a representative from the office?
Please contact us at 609-989-3236 if you need to speak to a representative.
Certificate Request Form