Walter Denson, Esq
Acting Director, Law Department
The Department of Law is committed to providing quality legal services to the people of the City of Trenton, the Mayor, City Council, all departments within the City as well as City employees. In effectuating that goal, the Law Department will strive to insure that results reflect the best possible legal resolution. We will provide legal advice to all who are entitled relying strictly on the cannons of professional ethics and the applicable law. In this way the Law Department seeks to insure that all individuals receive the same quality, care, and responses as if they had retained the Law Department on an individual basis.
The Trenton Municipal Code is available online and can be easily searched.
The Department of Law under the direction of the City Attorney is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Advising City Council as to the formal sufficiency of all ordinances and resolutions prior to their passage.
- The review and approval of all contracts, deeds, documents and instruments prior to the execution thereof by the Mayor.
- Conducting appeals from orders, decisions or judgments affecting any interest of the City as necessary or desirable or as directed by the Mayor or City Council.
- Enter into settlement agreements, subject to the approval of City Council, of any litigation which the City is involved.
- Render opinions in writing upon any question of law submitted by the Mayor, City Council or the head of any department with respect to their official powers, duties and responsibilities.
- Maintain a record of actions, suits proceedings and matters which relate to the City’s interest and render reports thereon from time to time as the Mayor or Council may require.
- Prosecute crimes and offenses in Trenton Municipal Court including violations of city ordinances.
- Assist the administration in their different functions, powers and duties as may be required.
Kimberley M. Wilson, Chief Municipal Prosecutor
The Trenton Municipal Prosecutor’s Office is a legal arm of the Department of Law. This office under the direction of the Chief Municipal Prosecutor is charged with the aggressive prosecution of the following:
- Quality of Life Offenses
- Traffic Offenses
- Disorderly Offenses
- Petty Disorderly Offenses
- Other specialized matters as deemed necessary by the court.
Pursuant to Rule 7:7-7(b), all requests for discovery for matters pending before the Municipal Court should be sent to the Chief Municipal Prosecutor directly. Please do not send any discovery requests to the Trenton Police Department, which will delay a response to the discovery request. Attorneys seeking discovery for pending matters should contact our office in the following manner:
By email (letter attached as a pdf file):
Discoveryrequest@trentonnj.org. This email address should be used to transmit letters in pdf format only. Any other requests or inquiries sent to this address may not receive a response.
Office of the Municipal Prosecutor
225 North Clinton Avenue
Trenton, New Jersey 08607
All discovery requests should include a valid email address so that we may respond to your request quickly and efficiently.
For further assistance, feel free to contact us at 609-989-3916. It is our pleasure to serve.