Trenton Urban Enterprise Zone
Business Success in the Capital City
Tom McGough - UEZ Coordinator (609) 989-3508
Welcome to Trenton’s Urban Enterprise Zone (UEZ)—a 3.06 square-mile, commercial and industrial section of the Capital City targeted for economic development! We are very proud to participate in New Jersey’s nationally acclaimed UEZ program, which provides Trenton businesses, residents and consumers financial incentives that are helping drive capital improvements, business expansion and employment in the city.
The New Jersey Legislature created the Urban Enterprise Zone Program in 1983 to help stimulate new economic activity and reduce unemployment within the boundaries of each zone. Trenton was awarded its UEZ designation in 1985. Since that time, the program has successfully served over 800 businesses that have invested millions of dollars in the construction and rehabilitation of new office, commercial and retail space, sports complexes, and other improvements to the city’s landscape.
If your business is located within Trenton’s UEZ Zone you may be eligible to receive tax incentives:
• Pay no sales tax on building materials, services, and most tangible personal property including equipment for your business:
• Charge 3.3125 percent sales tax on in-person purchases of goods – one-half the normal rate -- making your business a magnet for shoppers;
• Obtain a 50% reduction in unemployment insurance taxes and a one-time corporate tax credit of up to $1,500 for each new permanent full time employee hired;
• Receive a tax credit against the corporate business tax of 8 percent for investment inside the zone;
Advantages for Consumers:
- Enjoy 3.3125 percent sales tax – a 50% savings at participating stores.
- Shop in over 100 diversified shops and stores
- Dine on casual and elegant cuisine
- Explore the historic sites
There is no cost to apply for or participate in the UEZ program. All you need to qualify is complete a simple UEZ application. Please contact UEZ Coordinator Tom McGough at 609-989-3508 / firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or visit www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/financing/uez.
We encourage you to explore Trenton’s UEZ to learn more about the program and how you can take advantage of all that Trenton has to offer. Whether your company is large or small, the Capital City is a great place to do business. Join us and be part of Trenton’s vibrant economic future.
“Food Bazaar goes to great lengths to provide the Trenton community with individual attention for its cuisine. The firm makes connections throughout the world in order to provide the residents with the “back home” flavors they love. The store provides everyday staples and hard to find imported goods familiar to shoppers from others countries. The 3.5% sales tax on goods provides an added incentive for local customers to visit the store.” John Ahn, Store Manager - Food Bazaar (Bogopa Trenton LLC)