Trenton Urban Enterprise Zone
Business Success in the Capital City
J.R. Capasso - Director, Econ. Development (609)989-3509
Tom McGough - UEZ Coordinator (609) 989-3508
Welcome to Trenton’s Urban Enterprise Zone (UEZ)—a 2.5 square-mile, commercial and industrial section of the Capitol City targeted for economic development! We are very proud to participate in New Jersey’s nationally acclaimed UEZ program, which provides Trenton businesses, residents and consumers financial incentives that are helping drive capital improvements, business expansion and employment in the city.
The New Jersey Legislature created the Urban Enterprise Zone Program in 1983 to help stimulate new economic activity and reduce unemployment within the boundaries of each zone. Trenton was awarded its UEZ designation in 1985. Since that time, the program has successfully served over 900 businesses that have invested millions of dollars in the construction and rehabilitation of new office, commercial and retail space, sports complexes, and other improvements to the city’s landscape.
If your business is located within Trenton’s UEZ Zone link to map, you may be eligible to receive thousands of dollars in economic incentives:
• Pay no sales tax on building materials, services, and most tangible personal property;
• Charge 3.5 percent sales tax on in-person purchases – one-half the normal rate -- making your business a magnet for shoppers;
• Obtain a 50% reduction in unemployment insurance taxes and a one-time corporate tax credit of up to $1,500 for each new permanent full time employee hired;
• Receive a tax credit against the corporate business tax of 8 percent for investment inside the zone;
• Benefit from sales tax revenue being placed in a zone assistance fund and reinvested in improvement projects and further economic development;
• Become eligible for priority financial assistance including low-interest loans;
• Network and participate in Trenton UEZ-sponsored programs that can help you grow your business.
Advantages for Consumers:
- Enjoy 3.5 percent sales tax – a 50% savings
- Shop in over 100 diversified shops and stores
- Dine on casual and elegant cuisine
- Explore the historic sites
There is no cost to apply for or participate in the UEZ program. All you need to do to see if you qualify is complete a brief UEZ application. Please contact UEZ Coordinator Tom McGough at 609-989-3508 / firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and to obtain the application form.
We encourage you to explore Trenton’s UEZ to learn more about the program and how you can take advantage of all that Trenton has to offer. Whether your company is large or small, the Capitol City is a great place to do business. Join us and be part of Trenton’s vibrant economic future!
“Door Supply is a small business in the Trenton UEZ which distributes metal frames and doors, wood doors and builder’s hardware. The firm’s local customers save 3.5% sales tax on materials needed for their projects. Sale has grown from $2 million in 2003 to $6 million in 2008.” Matthew Kelly, Owner - Door Supply of New Jersey, Inc.
“Food Bazaar goes to great lengths to provide the Trenton community with individual attention for its cuisine. The firm makes connections throughout the world in order to provide the residents with the “back home” flavors they love. The store provides everyday staples and hard to find imported goods familiar to shoppers from others countries. The 3.5% sales tax on goods provides an added incentive for local customers to visit the store.” John Ahn, Store Manager - Food Bazaar (Bogopa Trenton LLC)
"Norman's takes our customers seriously, and will always provide the best prices and friendly customer service. The 3.5% sales tax on our goods is really appreciated by our customers and keeps them coming back."
Howard Henschel, Owner - Normans Gift Shop